Lekce 21: Should - Talking about obligation or duties.
The negative of should
is should not
. It is usual to join these two words together: shouldn’t
has a lot of uses that do not fit easily into one pattern. The best way to approach this word is to take note of each use as you hear it.
- Distant possibility: If you should see him, tell him I’ve left.(Kdybys ho měl náhodou vidět, řekni mu, že jsem odešel.)
- Probability: He should be here soon.
- Prediction: I should be perfectly happy if I won a million pounds.
- After verbs such as command, order, insist (nařídit, přikázat, poručit, trvat na něčem):
He insisted that the contract should be signed immediately. (Trval na tom, aby byla smlouva ihned podepsána.)
- After some adjectives such as important, vital: (nezbytný, nutný, podstatný, důležitý): It’s important that they should study hard for the exam.
- Talking about obligation or duties(měl bych, měl bys): He should see his mother more often.
- Asking for / Giving advice: What should I do? I think you should call her.